2021 black teatfish trial opening
TAC date: 3 May 2021. Black teatfish opening is now CLOSED.
Start date: 30 April 2021
Total Allowable Catch: 20 tonnes
Catch against the TAC: 17.62 tonne caught.
Check your BDM licence details by downloading the Torres Strait Fishery Licence Holder list.
Note – The TAC date is the day that the PZJA or its delegate determines based on it reasonable belief that the TAC will be reached. You cannot fish or receive black teatfish the day after the TAC Date.
Information for fishers
Download the letter to Torres Strait Beche-de-mer Fishery Traditional Inhabitant Boat (TIB) Licence Holder, notifying the TAC date for the black teatfish fishery.
Download a copy of the letter sent to TIB licence holders.
Information for fish receivers
Download the letter to Torres Strait Fish Receiver Licence Holder, notifying the TAC date for the black teatfish fishery.
Download the checklist for fish receivers
Download a copy of the letter sent to Torres Strait Fish Receivers
Fish receivers must:
Send an image/photo of your completed CDR electronically to AFMA on the same day you receive the catch. This means daily to:
SMS: 0437 825 291, Email: blackteatfish2021 [at] afma.gov.au or Fax: (07) 4069 1277
- Hold a current TIB fishing licence with Beche-de-mer (BD) entry
- Make sure that all crew are traditional inhabitants
- Land black teatfish catches to a licenced fish receiver on the same day that catch is taken. This means daily.
Fishers must not
- Fish or stockpile black teatfish before 30 April 2021
- Use hookah gear
- Take black teatfish that are smaller than 25 centimetres
- Fish from a boat greater than 7m in length
- Fish for black teatfish after the TAC Date.
Fisher receivers must
- Hold a current fish receiver licence
- Ensure the receiver premises on the licence are up-to-date
- Only receive catches from licenced fishers
- Only receive catch at premises nominated on your fish receiver licence
- Send an image/photo of your completed CDRs electronically to AFMA on the same day you receive the catch. This means daily.
Fish receivers must not
- Receive black teatfish before 30 April 2021
- Receive black teatfsih after the TAC Date.
For more information, contact AFMA tistaff [at] afma.gov.au or 07 4069 1990