Applications now open for membership on all PZJA committees
The Australian Fisheries Management Authority (AFMA), on behalf of the PZJA, is seeking applications for Chairpersons, Research Members and Industry members for the various PZJA consultative forums.
AFMA is seeking applicants for a term of up to three years for the positions listed below:
- Tropical Rock Lobster Resource Assessment Group - Chair, 3 Research Members & 2 Industry Members
- Tropical Rock Lobster Working Group - Chair, 2 Research Members (socio-economic expertise welcome) & 3 Industry Members
- Finfish Working Group - Chair, 2 Research Members (socio-economic expertise welcome) & 1 industry position*
- Finfish Resource Assessment Group - Chair, 3 Research Members & 1 Industry Member
- Hand Collectables Working Group, Chair & 2 Research Members (socio-economic expertise welcome)
- Torres Strait Scientific Advisory Committee - Chair, 4 Research Members (socio-economic expertise welcome) & 1 Industry Member
- Torres Strait Prawn Management Advisory Committee - Chair & 5 Industry Members
*denotes permanent observer status
Please note that all Traditional Inhabitant Industry Memberships for PZJA forums were selected through a separate process and have been appointed until 31 December
PZJA consultative forums
Management Advisory Committees (MAC) and Working Groups (WG) provide the PZJA with management advice. They report to the PZJA on policy and operational matters, where relevant, relating to the management of Torres Strait, including scientific, research and other information about the status of fish stocks and the impact of fishing on the marine environment. MAC and WG advice is used to inform the PZJA’s management decisions and records from past meetings can be found on the PZJA website.
Resource Assessment Groups (RAG) provide the PZJA with scientific and economic advice on the biological, economic and wider ecological factors affecting fisheries and RAG advice is used to inform PZJA’s management decisions. RAG advice is used to inform AFMA’s management decisions and records from past meetings can be found on PZJA website.
The Chairs of PZJA consultative forums play a key role in ensuring thorough and effective discussion about particular fisheries consistent with each forum’s Terms of Reference. The Chair is the primary communication link between the consultative forum and the PZJA and other PZJA consultative forums.
The role of the research member is to:
- Contribute impartial scientific, environmental, economic or social science expertise to consultative forum deliberations;
- Contribute to and conduct peer review of data, information and analyses tabled at consultative forum meetings; and
- Provide advice to the PZJA forum on the latest scientific, economic, social science issues of relevance to the fishery.
The role of an industry member in a PZJA consultative forum is to:
- contribute to consultative forum deliberations, knowledge and experience relevant to the particular fisheries and the fishing industry generally;
- contribute fisheries expertise to achieve the best resource assessment outcomes for the fishery;
- regularly and impartially report to and liaise with other operators in the fishery on the activities of the consultative forum.
How do I apply for MAC, WG or RAG membership?
- To be considered for industry positions on any of the MACs, WGs or RAGs please submit a written expression of interest (no more than one page) outlining your relevant experience and/or qualifications.
- For all other positions please submit your curriculum vitae and a brief cover note summarising your relevant experience, qualifications and reason for your application.
- Please specify in your application which MACs, WGs and/or RAGs you are applying for.
How do I submit my application?
Expressions of interest need to be submitted to the AFMA before close of business 10 May, 2019 and can be submitted by post, email or facsimile:
PZJA Secretariat, AFMA
PO Box 7051
CANBERRA BC ACT 2610
- email: PZJA.secretariat [at] afma.gov.au (subject: PZJA%20Consultative Forum membership (via NRMjobs))
- telephone: (02) 6225 5341