Torres Strait Fish Receiver System

A mandatory Fish Receiver System (FRS) has been in place for all Torres Strait fisheries except the Torres Strait Prawn Fishery from 1 December 2017. Under the FRS system, persons or business receiving (including buying) Torres Strait seafood will need to hold a Torres Strait Fish Receivers licence. Licenced fish receivers are only allowed to receive product from licenced Torres Strait commercial fishers. Licenced Torres Strait commercial fishers are only allowed to dispose of their catch to licenced fish receivers. Download and complete the application for a Torres Strait Fish Receiver Licence and return via post, fax or email. More information about the FRS can be found in the FAQ section below or in the


Frequently Asked Questions about the Fish Reciever System

What is a fish receiver system and why do we need it?

A fish receiver system (FRS) is used to get accurate and timely records of the weight of catches when they are landed so that we can make sure catches don’t go above total allowable catch limits and for monitoring quota management systems.

Catch limits are used to ensure fisheries are sustainable. Ensuring fishers take no more than their catch share protects the value of fishing entitlements.

When are catches landed for the purposes of the FRS?

Fish are landed when they are either brought onto land or unloaded (live or dead) onto a Carrier Class B or C boat (excluding when catch is loaded directly onto a Seaswift or MIPEC barge).

It does not include holding catches in cages or traps at sea (for example cages used to hold live kaiar in the ocean).

What fisheries will the FRS apply to?

The FRS will be implemented in all Torres Strait commercial fisheries except the Torres Strait Prawn Fishery, which is managed by the number of days that boats can fish and is monitored through the Vessel Monitoring System.

Who or what is a "fish receiver"?

Anyone wanting to receive fish from a commercial fisher will need to hold a fish receiver licence. Carrier Class B and C boats will be required to be licenced fish receivers.

Is a fish receiver the buyer?

Not always. In most cases the fish receiver will be the buyer. However, sometimes the fisher will land their catch to a fish receiver, have it weighed and then store the catch to sell it later.

What does a fish receiver need to do?

The fish receiver weighs the catch, completes a catch disposal record and sends it to AFMA within three days of receiving catch. The fisher needs to provide their name and fishing licence detail.

Who supplies the catch disposal record forms?

AFMA. The Torres Strait Fisheries Catch Disposal Record (CDR) (TDB02) will be provided to licenced fish receivers. The CDR replaces the voluntary Torres Strait Seafood Buyers & Processors Docket Book (TDB01) which is used by some industry members now.

Does everyone need to be part of the FRS?

All commercial fishers, Carrier Class B and C licenced boats and people or entities receiving product from commercial fishers will be part of the FRS.

How will I know who is a licenced fisher or fish receiver?

A public register will be made available on the PZJA website. The Register will list all licenced fishers, carrier boats and fish receivers.

How will it be implemented?

By licence conditions. The fishing licence will state you can only land fish to a licenced fish receiver. The fish receiver licence will state you can only receive fish from a licenced fisher.

How do I get a fish receiver licence?

The fish receiver licence will be granted by AFMA.

You can apply for a fish receiver licence by downloading the application form from the PZJA website or by contacting the AFMA Thursday Island office on (07) 4069 1990, emailing FisheriesTI [at] or drop into the AFMA Office at the Pearls Building on Thursday Island.

AFMA will keep communities informed about when fish receiver licences are available.

How much will the fish receiver licence cost?

The fish receiver licence will be free for the first two years. Licence fees may be introduced after that time.

Who made this decision?

The decision to implement a FRS was made by the Protected Zone Joint Authority (PZJA) and the FRS will be mandatory from 1 December 2017.

Where can I get more information on the FRS?

AFMA will be travelling to all Torres Strait communities, the Northern Peninsula Area and Cairns to hold meetings about the FRS, and to help individuals better understand how the FRS will operate.

You can get more information online at the website or by contacting the AFMA Thursday Island office on (07) 4069 1990, emailing FisheriesTI [at] or drop into the AFMA Office at the Pearls Building on Thursday Island.