PZJA out of Session Decisions 19 September 2014
Delegation of scientific and developmental permits under the Torres Strait Fisheries Act 1984
The PZJA NOTED:
- That permits for scientific and developmental purposes have previously been issued by the Australian Fisheries Management Authority (AFMA) and Fisheries Queensland respectively.
- That upon review of the Section 9 and Section 38 delegations under the Torres Strait Fisheries Act 1984 (the Act), it is clear that the PZJA holds non-delegable responsibility for issuing permits for scientific and developmental purposes under Section 12 of the Act.
- All permits for scientific and developmental purposes under Section 12 of the Act must be referred to the PZJA for decision, unless it relates to a non PZJA fishery or does not involve a boat.
- A request has been received for a permit for scientific purposes to conduct fishery research in the area of the Torres Strait Spanish Mackerel Fishery.
- The research outcome will assist the PZJA in achieving its legislative objectives under the Act.
- Native Title consultation on the proposed management action under Section 24HA of the Native Title Act 1993 (NT Act) has been conducted.
The PZJA AGREED:
- to issue a permit for scientific purposes to authorise the holder, or a person acting on behalf of the holder, to conduct research in the area of the Torres Strait Spanish Mackerel Fishery, in accordance with the project “Defining the status of Torres Strait Spanish Mackerel to inform future fisheries allocation and sustainable fishing”, which has been supported by the Torres Strait Scientific Advisory Committee.