(OOS) Implementation of a Vessel Monitoring System in Torres Strait fisheries
1. AGREED to implement mandatory Vessel Monitoring System (VMS) for all commercially licenced primary and carrier vessels operating under the Torres Strait Fisheries Act 1984 by 1 July 2017 where;
a) primary boat is the boat nominated to the licence as the primary commercial fishing boat for the licence from which tender boats are authorised to operate;
b) freight shipping vessels are exempt; and
c) exemptions may be provided for carrier vessels that are 6 meters or less in length.
2. NOTED that VMS will help the PZJA to efficiently and cost-effectively monitor the movement of commercial fishing vessels;
3. NOTED that effective monitoring improves the integrity of management arrangements and can better support industry flexibility to choose how they wish to operate to maximise returns from their fishing businesses;
4. NOTED that VMS has been a requirement of the Torres Strait Prawn Fishery since 2005;
5. NOTE that AFMA will provide industry with information on the requirements of VMS;
6. NOTED that the PZJA working groups have considered the proposal and support the implementation of mandatory VMS;
7. NOTED the outcomes of Native Title notification.
(OOS) Amendments to the Torres Strait Prawn Fishery Management Plan 2009
1. APPROVED amendments to the Torres Strait Prawn Fishery Management Plan 2009.
2. AGREED for the Chair to sign the amendment document to determine the Torres Strait Prawn Fishery Management Plan Amendments 2016 bringing the amendments into effect.
3. NOTED the amendments have been through public comment and native title notification processes.